World Cup 2011 matches not to be held in Pakistan: Minister
Federal Minister for Sports Pir Aftab Shah Jillani has said that despite serving legal notice to International Cricket Council (ICC), matches of World Cup 2011 would not be held in Pakistan.
Responding in written in response to questions asked by members National Assembly on Saturday, the federal minister said that legal notice has been served to ICC to stop shifting of matches from Pakistan but the Cricket World Body had already taken the decision.
He said that Pakistan’s share of 14 World Cup matches would be held in India, Sri Lanka or Bangladesh but the revenue to be generated from these matches would be given to Pakistan.
He said that Pakistan deprived of its share of World Cup matches due to fragile security situation in the country.
Talking on hockey, the federal sports minister said that the national sports of the country had witnessed rapidly downfall in the last 30 years due to excessive facilities to office-bearers of the federation, no allocation of quota for hockey in educational institutes and closure of Army Cantonment for hockey due to security concerns.
Despite that, the minister said, the refusal of foreign teams to visiting Pakistan, failed to use latest techniques and tools and restriction of hockey in national departments are also reasons for downfall of that sport in the country. He emphasized that highly trained qualified coaches are needed for the revival of hockey.
He informed the lower house that the incumbent government in the next five years would construct 17 new Hockey Grounds, adding at present 38 federations have affiliation with the ministry, adding no NOC had been issued to any fake Passport Association to get visas.