Jazba Blog

Also visit www.jazbablog.com

Karachi under attack: Two back to back blasts rock Karachi

Pakistani people weep near the bodies of the people who lost their lives in a motorcycle bomb blast in KarachiAt least 26 people including a child were killed and more than 80 sustained serious injuries in twin blast in Karachi on Friday. Over 13 people lost their lives and 60 others were wounded when an explosives-laden motorcycle rammed into a public bus on the FTC Bridge at Faisal highway.

The blast was so powerful, that its voice was heard in area of several kilometers. A shop and bus was completely destroyed in the explosion while other shops situated at the ill fated site were partially damaged in the explosion.

Police and rangers soon after the blast arrived at the site and cordoned off the whole area. Ambulances and rescue workers reached at the site and shifted the bodies and injured to Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Center. Emergency have been declared in all hospital of Karachi.

Dr Semi Jamali, Incharge Emergency ward of Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Center while talking to media men has said that at least 12 dead bodies and near 40 wounded have so far been brought to the medical facility.

According to details a bus of route 52-A carrying mourners from Jaffar Tayyar society of Malir area was on its way to main Muharram procession when a motorcycle, apparently-laden with explosives, rammed into the bus at Faisal highway near Nursery flyover. According to bomb disposal squad, 20 kilogram explosive material was used in the blast.

When the injured of first blast were being taken to Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Center, another blast occurred outside the main gate of emergency ward of hospital, killing 12 people and injuring dozen others.

Over 200 people were present outside the hospital when the blast took place. According to eyewitness, the blast was planted in a motorcycle parked in the hospital parking.

Several ambulances were destroyed in the blast. The employees and doctors of hospital escaped after the blast.

People took control of hospital and started relief activities. The injured were shifted to Agha Khan Hospital. It was the second blast in last 2 hours in Karachi. The intensity of blast outside emergency ward of Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Center was powerful as compare to blast occurred at Faisal highway.

The participants of Muharram procession after hearing news of blast staged a protest demonstration at M.A Jinnah road. Shia Ulema Council has also announced three days mourning in Karachi.

Following the outbreak of the news, the main procession that was at Imambargah Ali Raza on its main route at that moment, was stopped there by the authorities.

Mourners attending the procession chanted slogans against the authorities and blamed the attack on lack of security.

Ulema and Zakireen asked the mourners to observe patience while the authorities also rechecked the procession route. Later, the procession was allowed to resume its journey amid tight security and vigilance of beefed-up deployment of police and rangers on its route.

On the other hand, President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Syed Yousuf Raza Gilani have strongly condemned the twin blasts in Karachi and ordered investigation into the incident.

In a separate message issued, both leaders have called on people to remain peaceful.

Tehrik Nifaz-e-Jafria chief Agha Syed Hamid Mousvi, National Assembly’s Speaker Fehmida Mirza, Deputy Speaker Faisal Karim Kundi, Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi, Defense Minister Ahmed Mukhtar, Farzana Raja, Fauzia Wahab, Information Minister Kamar Zaman Kaira and Minister of State Samsam Bukhari have denounced the blasts.

Besides, Minister of Manpower Khurshid Shah, Nayyar Bukhari, Textile Minister Rana Farooq, Petroleum Minister Naveed Qamar, Water and Power Minister Raja Parvez Ashraf and Finance Minister Shaukat Tarin also condemned the blasts, which killed at least 26 people. They said that people should keep an eye on anti-people elements.

PML-Q leader Chaudhry Shujaat, Mushahid Hussain, PML-N leaders Ahsan Iqbal, Ishaq Dar, Hanif Abbasi and Shahid Khaqan Abbasi also denounced the blasts.

Foreign Minister, Shah Mehmood Qureshi roundly condemned the twin blasts adding that the designs of terrorists must be defeated.

He said that militants wanted to create sectarian rift and that scholars of all sects should come together to unite.

Meanwhile, City Nazim, Mustafa Kamal appealed for calm and tolerance saying that people should refrain from taking the law into their own hands.

MQM leader, Farooq Sattar termed the attack a brutal act of terror and said that it was an attempt at derailing peace.

Munawar Hassan, the JI chief also condemned the blast but also added that the attack highlights the failure of the government to protect its citizens and their property.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: